In an effort to enhance the student reflection experience in our campus wellness clinics, staff initiated a monthly blogging activity during this school year. We tasked students with creating one blog per month on pre-determined professional workplace skills topics. We trained students on how to create an effective blog, as well as, how to respond to a blog entry. Students wrote blogs after the second clinic of each month. Staff selected a winning entry from each program clinic and students then responded to the winning entries after the fourth clinic of each month. We handed out an awards certificate and award each month to the winning entries.
Why Student Blogging?
- Allows students to express and hone their creativity.
- Promotes academic integration in career and technical education courses.
- Regular writing sharpens the brain’s performance.
- Promotes expression of self.
- Boosts student confidence.
- Improves communication skills.
- Students gained “know-how” that can enrich and benefit their clinic experience.
- Students were able to speak their mind.
- Students expressed “finding themselves” and “finally understanding” when reading or writing blog entries.
- Winning entries received constructive feedback from student peers.
- Blogging allowed students to develop unique content and express their clinic experience perspective to others.